Friday, September 05, 2008

Dream Cancellation: A Personal Whine

Six years of no increase in take-home pay and several years of insidious inflation have finally gotten the best of our already-tight budget.

Today we cancelled our Christmas trip.

For the first time in ten years, the Wonk Family will not be going back to South Carolina to visit the folks during Christmas recess.


*sigh*

When I began my classroom service, I knew that I would never get rich teaching children.

But I never would have thought that our family would be poorer when I was 45 years of age than when I was 40.

A few years ago, we used to buy name-brands at our local supermarket.

We now buy store-brands at our local Wal-Mart.

Meanwhile, our employers will continue to demand name-brand teaching.

But we teachers will continue to be paid store-brand money...




Dear Readers, please forgive my poor choice of whine...