Friday, September 16, 2005

Notes From The Education Underground

The TeachWonk Diaries:

Did you know that every September 17th has been designated (public law 108-447) as Constitution Day? On or about this day, schools receiving Federal funding (And that means just about all of them.)
are required to put-on student assemblies and other activities in observance.

President George Bush signed the legislation
December 8, 2004.

According to a resolution passed by our school board, (I review the minutes each month.) all campuses are to perform "appropriate" activities this Friday in honor of the occasion, as Constitution day will fall on a Saturday this year.

In contravention of the law's requirements, our school has no plans whatsoever to mark the occasion, and no directives have been issued to remind teachers of the significance of the day.


As far as I know, I'm the only person on my campus that is even aware of the existence of Constitution Day.

My seventh graders and I will be reciting the preamble.

And no, I'm not going to say anything about this to the school's management. It's one thing to write on this site, but it's another thing altogether to cause a ruckus on campus.


I really don't want one of those involuntary transfers that our district's superintendent, Dr. Evil, uses to punish teachers who utter unpleasant things at Board Meetings, or talk too much in the teachers lounge.

Main Page/Latest Posts