Elementary School Students Attempt To Hijack School Bus: UPDATE
As we reported yesterday, a group of four elementary school students attempted to hijack their school bus. One student held a knife to the throat of an unsuspecting student while demanding that the bus pull over. After pulling off the road, the driver somehow relieved the little thug of his knife. The bus then proceeded to the school where the four would-be hijackers were taken into custody.
Today, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported additional details of the incident.
- The students involved in the conspiracy were three 11-year-old boys and one 10-year-old girl.
- After getting control of the bus, the "Gang of Four" intended to drive the bus (We assume that they were going to free the other students.) to Nevada.
- As we reported, the four were turned over to school administrators at Mapleview Elementary School in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
- After the 52-year-old driver, Janet McQuown, pulled the bus off the road, she asked the unnamed boy for the knife. After several requests, the boy complied. The students then sat quietly for the rest of the route.
- Criminal charges are pending against the two boys that were the apparent ringleaders.
At first blush, I am tempted to join everyone else that is chuckling at this incident. But I can't find this incident amusing. What does it say about the state of things when children this young even imagine doing something like this?